Monday, May 6, 2013

#15minfanart Roundup - Week 2

One of the biggest fears in working on the #15minfanart challenge has been the possibility of running out of ideas...which, of course, is ridiculous when you consider the sheer number of fandoms and combinations of fandoms possible! In beginning the project, I did have a few ideas in mind, but on the most part I've been winging it day-to-day. And thinking up what to draw is hard.

So, I'm happy to recruit other people to help come up with ideas whenever I can! Beyond this, suggestions from others often pose additional challenges which prompt more fun and interesting results than what I would've dreamed up alone.

HULK SMASH! Next time, we play Candyland

Coming off the high of completing the first week and fully in the grip of no-idea terror, I asked Kitty if she had any requests. She suggested something in the superhero genre...and perhaps they could be playing board games. Or making sandwiches.

Seeing as how Team Stripey Socks has actually played Jenga with Hulk Hands, this doodle seemed to be the only natural response. Sandwiches, sadly, did not make the final result. That idea is safely tucked away for the future.







Looking to who else might offer interesting suggestions, I reached out to a friend's awesome preschool-age son who has delightful taste in geekery. Surely he would have some interesting ideas!


 ....He just may have been a tad too young to understand the concept.


One of us?

 However, a request is a request and it must be honored.

This was tricky for various reasons. Firstly, while I do enjoy Star Wars, I have yet to explore the world of The Clone Wars. Secondly, I've never attempted to draw a Transformer before and they're full of fiddly little mechanical bits.

All things considered, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. And so, I hope, was the little guy who came up with the idea.

His response: "The Clone looks confused...I made that up!"








He also offered more inspiration than he realized. Thanks to the delightful combination of his Angry Birds robe and Spider-Man pajamas, Day 10 happened.












You Killed My Father/ Stick Them With the Pointy End






After a few days of silliness, I decided to take a stab (ha!) at a more serious crossover.

Surely I couldn't have been the only person to imagine Arya's "dancing instructor" to really be Inigo Montoya trying to earn a buck while searching for the six-fingered man...
Original this is not.


















Day 12 came on May 4th.

What to draw was fairly obvious.




Sometimes, I didn't get much say in how the doodles ended up - in being drawn, they took on a life of their own.

It wasn't too much of a stretch to take the "sing along" aspect of Dr. Horrible and apply it to karaoke. I originally wanted to have him singing with Dexter of Dexter's Lab, but it seems the good doctor wanted the stage all to himself. Dexter will have to wait his turn.








Flying Toasters
An unofficial guideline of this experiment was that, if I were to include something, I really ought to be a fan of whatever it is...or at least have some passing familiarity with it.

With Battlestar Galactica, however...I'm somewhat of a novice. More than a novice, really - I know next to nothing about the show. A total n00b. In fact, my introduction to the show is going to be part of an upcoming series for this very blog.

What I do know, however, is that there are robot-like things called Cylons that are sometimes referred to as "toasters". And they're in space. Flying around.

How this piece came about, then, should be pretty straightforward...


And that's week two! Onward to week three! As always, day-to-day progress on this challenge can be tracked and suggestions can be made by following us on Twitter at @TeamStripeySock!

No comments:

Post a Comment